Startup Ideation is an unconventional Work Integrated Learning (WIL) program that allows Deakin University students to create their own startup with the support of SPARK Deakin.
Learn how to bring ideas to life
Startup Ideation participants work in teams or on their own to build their own product or service – some past participants have come out of the program with a live, revenue-generating product.
The program is hosted by a dedicated program facilitator with weekly sessions, open communication channels, ongoing mentoring, and industry guest speakers – past speakers have included a Masterchef finalist and staff from Google & Envato.
Applications for the Trimester 2, 2021 cohort are open now and are due 16 May 2021 11.59PMApply here for T2
How does it work?
Each week you will be set a series of challenges that you are required to execute to validate your idea in the market and round off to a pitch day at the end of the program.
This program is open to students of all faculties including international whether postgraduate or undergraduate.
Key skills and experiences gained through this program include:
- Develop an entrepreneurial mindset built on innovation and adaptation
- Understand how to identify core problems and develop solutions
- Learn how to trial ideas through a validation process
- Collaborate with students of a variety of backgrounds and experience levels
This is not your standard experience! Expect opportunities to challenge yourself to grow as an entrepreneur.
It is your responsibility to ensure that taking a WIL unit contributes towards your course requirements and will not prevent you from meeting your course rules. Please speak with a Student Adviser from your faculty if you are unsure.
Hear from past participants of Startup Ideation
Trimester 2 2021 Workshops
Note: Workshops will run at Deakin Downtown in Melbourne, CBD and attendance is mandatory for all workshops.
- Induction — Monday 12 July
- Design Thinking Workshop — Monday 19 July
- Lean Startup Workshop — Monday 26 July
- Validation Workshop — Monday 2 August
- Prototyping Workshop — Monday 9 August
- Business Model Canvas Workshop – Monday 23 August
- Branding Workshop — Monday 30 August
- Marketing and Sales Workshop — Monday 6 September
- Pitching Workshop — Monday 13 September
- Pitch Practice — Monday 20 September
- Showcase Day Rehearsal – Thursday 24 September
- Showcase Day – Monday 27 September
How does the Startup Ideation WIL Program differ from your WIL Unit?
Startup Ideation is a (Work Integrated Learning) WIL program provided by SPARK Deakin. This means that it is an internship opportunity that Deakin University recognises as a learning opportunity, and as such, offers a credit point for participation.
In order to have the credit point recognised, interns must enrol in the appropriate faculty-specific WIL unit. Each unit will have their own set of assessments to ensure that the learning outcome for the unit are being met, and thus, the credit point is received. Unit assessments and results are determined by the faculty and are separate to the internship program provider.Apply here for T2
“The one thing I love about SPARK Deakin Ideation is that it actually teaches you how to start a business. I’ve taken a lot of courses which are great but miss the practical element. It’s also a great environment to meet like-minded people and mentors.”
“If you’ve ever had an interest in starting a business or tackling an important issue, this program can give you the tools and the mindset to turn it into a reality”